The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man - Kate McKay, Brett McKay

Most amusing to read, even as a female reader, as it is written in the same tone and style as the weblog by which it is inspired. It is basically a self-help style of book for men (or rather, boys that want to be manly men). There is absolutely nothing derogatory towards women in the book; if anything, it scolds males that treat women badly. I thought the section on childcare was cute, specifically how to braid one's daughter's hair (like a man!) and how to raise a well-behaved son. It does lean on stereotypes to make its point at times, but in a tongue in cheek kind of way. The hardest parts to get through were the instructions on how to do things like tie a tie or start a fire from scratch - neither of which I understand how to do any better after having read the book. Instructions with relevant pictures would be better, in my opinion, but would also have taken away from the book's aesthetic.

Overall, pretty solid advice for a book that doesn't take itself too seriously. It would be a great coffee table book or gift for a guy friend.