Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics - Eleanor Herman

Sex with the Queen is the sequel of sorts to Herman's Sex with the King. I imagine it was a little bit harder to dig up some salacious examples that had enough sources to be rendered truthful and thus nonfiction. But I must say, the writing in this book seemed two adjectives and an oddly phrased metaphor away from being on the same level as Twilight. Didn't stop me from enjoying most of it though.

Note to self: remember to re-read Sex with the King and compare the two. I feel like some of the anecdotes are crossovers and/or also mentioned from the opposite perspective in the other book. Should absolutely mine it for creative writing ideas. Also, double check with the European royalty family tree and cross reference with pedigree collapse chart. Bastards are not included unless legitimized? May need to make up a CK2 style family dynasty chart to track all of it. (OT: Create your own dynasty mod on Steam.)

Anyway, quotes:

The ancient double standard - men rutting with their mistresses while their wives sewed altar cloths - was rooted not in misogyny, but in biology.

"Consider of what importance to society the chastity of women is," said the renowned wit and scholar Dr. Samuel Johnson, who wrote the first English dictionary in 1757. "Upon that all the property in the world depends. We hang a thief for stealing a sheep, but the unchastity of a woman transfers sheep, and farm, and all from the right owner."

Hmmm... Disagree. Biology, yes, that point is true in all cases (involving humans anyway) with the caveat caused by the new "male pregnancy" experiments - cannot recall if it was successful or not - because of the necessity of the X-chromosome. However, female chastity is required only in patriarchal societies. In a matriarchal society, the property would pass down the female line, female chastity would be a moot point, male chastity would be irrelevant except for reasons due to social morality.

-- "Scowling at his doctor, Louis snapped, "I would have lived much longer if it had not been for you." This accurately sums up my feelings about doctors. I kinda want to embroider this and frame it up on the wall.

-- "We can imagine that many a nervous young man was too terrified to rise to the occasion. His entire future and that of his family were at stake, based solely on the hardness of his penis." This actually made me think about how much more difficult it might be for men to advance socially via sexual favor in the face of erectile dysfunction; a rather crude joke made by a comedienne I forgot the name of comes to mind - "I can go to sleep and mine still works."

-- "His face and his manner were perfectly suited to the hero of a novel, though not of a French novel, for he had neither the brilliance nor the frivolity." Made me think of The Count of Monte Cristo (2002). Ah, Jim Caviezel. <3

Since human nature had not changed along with human morals, male adultery was not to be given up, but to be kept politely concealed to avoid causing scandal or hurting the wife's feelings. The husband, pretending to visit a gentlemen's club, would instead visit his mistress and no one would be the wiser. The wife, of course, would not commit adultery at all. The ideal wife didn't even enjoy sex with her husband, but sacrificed herself now and then upon the altar of wifely duty.