The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) - Terry Pratchett

Two points - if the author is from England, shouldn't it be The Colour of Magic? And I can't tell if I got a slightly glitched copy of the e-book or if there were deliberate mistakes with oddly placed and/or missing quotation marks.

Someone recommended the Discworld series to me a while ago and indeed it does tickle my funny bone, suits my particular brand of humor. Rincewind is an adorably cursed butt monkey, poor guy. And I finally understand the numerous Death references I have seen across fandoms and memes online. I will be working my way through the series and collecting the quotable gems here.

As for plot, well, for book #1 = tourists, misunderstandings, insurance, Luggage, heroes, deconstruction, gambling, sentience, gods, space explorers! A given definition of shape shifter, undeserved reputations, inordinate amounts of happenstance.

-- "I assure you the thought never even crossed my mind, Lord." "Indeed? Then if I were you I'd sue my face for slander."

-- "You don't understand! ...All my life I've wanted to see dragons!" "From the inside?"

-- "You're a defeatist." "Defeatist! That's because I'm going to be defeated!"

-- "He wondered what kind of life it would be, having to keep swimming all the time to stay exactly in the same place. Pretty similar to his own, he decided."

-- "Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But the captain had long ago decided that he would, on the whole, prefer to achieve immortality by not dying." I couldn't help but think of (Captain!) Jack Sparrow with this one! :P

-- "It wasn't half so dreadful as he had imagined. Umm, said his imagination after a while."

-- "It's happened at last... I'm going out of my mind." Good idea said the voice. It's getting pretty crowded in here."

-- "Because the whole of my future life just flashed in front of my eyes, and it didn't take very long..."