The Gilded Hour - Sara Donati

-- "If she had grown up in an Italian family, her father would have gone after the same information in one fifteen-minute, sweat-soaked interview." Cue playing Cleaning this Gun.

-- "I forbid you to take advantage of me in this office." Oh la la~~

-- "Do you dislike it that I am protective of you? Because that's bred in the bone." / She straightened and patted his cheek. "I don't mind. As long as you'll take my 'Yes, I will' as an answer to your 'No, you won't.'" Relationship in summary. Love it.

-- "I can't imagine a situation where I would want an abortion for myself.... But that is at least in part because I have reliable access to contraceptives and understand how they work." Hmmm, the importance of education. Knowledge is power.

-- "...stories like that are not all that unusual, at least when the man standing trial is black. I assume this Dr. Newlight is a white man, and that's why it strikes you as unjust." Bias, even subconsciously, evident in both characters involved in this conversation. This was the most striking part.

-- "...but I still pause sometimes and feel a moment of panic because I forgot to write FWC after my signature." FWC standing for Free Woman of Color. I'm unclear as to why it was so important to identify your race/citizenship status on a letter. It's not you like write differently than someone of another race and it would have only been pertinent if engaging with someone publicly, in business, etc., at the time, wouldn't it? Reminds me of that one story of the agent that infiltrated the KKK, interacting entirely by phone, and they never had any idea that he was black.

-- "The alternative is even worse, that they know that the operations are the equivalent of vivisection... and carry on regardless." Sometimes I think doctors are STILL like that!

-- "...but I truly believe that gynecology has become popular as a specialty because rich men have wives, and doctors have anesthesia."

-- "My mother is Jewish," Bambina said. "She is not colored. You can't compare the two." Ah, the shades of minorities. There was a movie about that but I can't remember the name...

-- "Have you ever seen your mother being cut or openly insulted because of her religion?" / "No. Should I have?" / "And that's why your parents decided to leave Italy, so you wouldn't experience what it's like to have someone you love insulted or demeaned openly..." Yes.

-- "Mulberry Bend was the very worst of the tenements. Hundreds of rooms, airless, lightless, no larger than closets, overrun with vermin, where whole families slept in shifts. The place where the most desperate and violent kept each other warm." Read this later.

-- "Her family history was there to read, in her bones and skin and hair, in the blue-green eyes that identified her as a redbone in the south, a term some thought as offensive as anything Undine Belmont could come up with." Interesting introspective thought, although I wasn't sure what redbone meant so I looked it up.

-- "Passengers came and went, greeted each other, and talked in the way of people who knew each other's parents and grandparents, secrets and foibles."